We dont call them "script" anymore, we call them "product" or "app"
Before, whenever some functionality is needed, it is pretty common for people to look for a corresponding "script" for that
- Do you have youtube clone script?
- Where could I buy a user management script?
- I have a script to optimize my site but it is broken
- Is there an app that does this?
- What startup is offering this kind of product?
- How can we optimize this app?
Writing in "Core PHP" is not cool anymore
First things first, a lot of people who calls themselves a "PHP Core Developer" is misusing the term "core"
What they THINK Core PHP means: Writing scripts without using framework or libraries and only using core functions.
What does Core PHP REALLY means: You are C or C++ programmer who is contributing to maintaining and optimization of PHP Interpreter source code
Now, lets say we take the 1st context (writing in php without frameworks), the only situations you should be doing that are:
- You have full mastery of ANY existing framework and you think you can write a better one.
- You could comply with 12 Factor App without cutting corners and delaying your project timeline.
- You need to fix a bug or add a simple feature on a legacy application.
- You are developing an SDK (libraries to interact with APIs) or Tools (Composer, PHPUnit).
You should NOT be coding in "Core PHP" if:
- You don't have understanding on how to build a good framework from scratch. Frameworks are unavoidable, it is either you use an existing one or unconsciously building one.
- You dont know how to use any existing framework or library.
- You dont know what PSR is.
We dont Copy-Paste PHP Classes anymore
We dont use Filezilla to use edit files in live/production anymore
This is a habit that is hard to break, specially if you are a WordPress Developer. But hey, check the concepts of Continous Integration and Delivery. And if you are a WP developer, please check Roots.io
There you have it! Sorry if you are expecting some cool PHP syntax, but if that is what you are looking for, I have a post for that :)
Did you find this useful?
I'm always happy to help! You can show your support and appreciation by Buying me a coffee (I love coffee!).